Calumet County Alice in Dairyland
Program grant recipients named
The 2013 Calumet County Alice in Dairyland program is awarding four community group projects a one-time grant provided by funds remaining from the 2013 program.
The purpose is to provide one-time funding for the development of new program and projects, or to enhance existing programs in Calumet County related to:
• Creating community and consumer awareness of the importance and impact of agriculture;
• Developing innovative agricultural experiences or projects; and
• Offering educational skill building opportunities and support for youth, families or adults.
The following projects have been awarded the Alice in Dairyland Grants:
• STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Initiative - Organization: Brillion Public Schools.
Approximately 220 students will learn the concepts of hydroponics and aquaponics as a source of food in the 21st century, as well as developing other technical and hands-on skills. Materials will be provided to grades K-5, 6th grade and high school.
• Calumet County "Sundae" on the Farm Signage - Organization: Calumet County Dairy Promotion.
The grant will be used to provide permanent and re-usable educational signs at Calumet County Dairy Events to educate the consuming public about dairy.
• "Dairyland" Family Spot at the Calumet County Fair - Organization: Calumet County Agricultural Association.
The "Dairyland" will be a family spot at the Calumet County Fair for young and old to enjoy together, building on the importance of Agriculture in the homes and communities.
• The "Incredible" Educational Fiberglass Milking Cow - Organization: Calumet County Fair.
The fiberglass cow is an interactive educational tool; allowing children of all ages learn the art of "milking a cow," while promoting consumer awareness and the importance of Agriculture to our community.